Monday, December 15, 2008

ICKY-SICKY

Well...we have all survived the stomach bug of 2008! Heaven help us, it was a nasty little thing but we're still here, a few pounds lighter, but here alright!

Our saga began last Wednesday night, on our way to Luby's (Cade's pick) for dinner he was sitting in his car seat and complained of a stomachache! Then he said, Mommy I think I'm just hungry. Which seemed to me quite plausible because he HADN'T eaten a snack that afternoon so I brushed it off. We arrive at Luby's, order, eat with no issues! Head out to church and on the way there he says again, my tummy hurts! So of course, I say we'll let's go home and see how you feel. To that he replies, Mommy I think I just need to go potty and then it will be okay. Again plausible, because this DOES aleve his "stomach issues" 9 times out of 10. Oh but the story is only beginning, about half way though bible class, his teacher Ms. Melissa comes in to get me saying he's complaining of a stomachache! I rush down there to find him standing in front of the trash can, pale as a sheet, gripping is tummy like there's no tomorrow! No puke luckily but he hadn't TOUCHED his snack during class which is VERY unlike Mr. Cade. My antennae immediately went up that something wasn't right. I pick up Gracie and we head home in the van. As soon as we step in the door he throws himself on the tile floor in the kitchen and says Mommy I'm gonna be sick....
Of course I blurt out, AHHHHHH...go to the bathroom QUICK!!!!
I'm holding Gracyn in one arm, trying to lead him to the potty with the other. Meanwhile, Dad is parking his ride in the driveway. Shortly there after...about 5 seconds... began a series of "icky-sicky" episodes that lasted through the night to the early morning. I ended up sleeping in his bed to help him. We were up almost every hour. Then around 4 AM the stomach pangs hit me! Oh goodness gracious....Dad stayed home from work half the day on Thursday to "nurse" us. My Mom and Granddad came in that afternoon. Steve had scheduled my Granddad that Friday to do some dental work. Mom took care of everyone while I was down and out! Believe it or not, Mom & Gracyn NEVER got sick, but Steve and my 81 year old Granddad...not so lucky. Steve got sick on Friday evening and PaPaw followed early, early Saturday morning!!!! If you have lost count, that's FOUR people who caught this nasty, horrible bug. It was a 24 hour virus, but man when those 24 were over we felt totally sluggish, weak, tired, and beat down.

We are all 4 well now, thanks to the help of phenergan (nausea medication), Gatorade, more phenergan, dry toast, and saltine crackers!

Signing off,
Happy to be Bug Free

6 comments:

BexInTheCity said...

yuck. glad everyone is better. we all had that too.... it started with Audrey, then I got it, then Levi and John BOTH got it at the tail end of a 16 hour road trip. no fun.

Amanda said...

Oh Becky, that's awful! Every night I go to bed with the dread that it's going to hit us. We are the ONLY family I know that hasn't gotten it yet this season. I just know it's coming. Glad to hear you survived, but I hate that it happened!

Rebecca said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick. I was wondering why you ran out of church on Wednesday. I'm glad to hear that all of you feel better. At least it hit before the holiday week.

Melissa said...

I was sure hoping that Cade was just having a minor issue with no stomach bug involvement. So sorry to hear that he had it and that he shared it. I'm glad y'all are better now though!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

OH, Becky! I am so sorry. That is just no fun at all. I am so glad everyone is better.

Ashley said...

oh beck! so glad the alaniz clan is better! i hate when court is sick and he hasn't even been THAT sick yet!!
love you 4!!