Friday, August 22, 2008

1st Day of Preschool

When I taught Kindergarten, we would read a version of this little poem (I changed the words to fit our situation) on graduation day. All those years that I taught Kindergarten I never had children of my own. My "kids" were the students in my classroom and I got so attached to them that I cried every year that we read this. But, now that I have 2 children of my own, it really touched me in a special way and I thought it truly, truly summed up how my heart felt this morning at 8:00 AM.

You were six months old and full of fun.

With the blink of my eye you suddenly were one.

There were so many things we were going to do,

but I turned my head and you turned two.


At two you were very dependent on me, but independence

took over when you turned three.


Your third birthday, WOW...another year more,

but the next time I light those candles,

there won't be three, but FOUR.


Now you are ready for books and rules.

This is the year for your "BIG BOY" school.

The big day came; you were anxious to go.


We walked toward the school, going oh so slow.

As you climbed up the steps and waved goodbye,

I felt a lump in my throat and tears stung my eyes.

Time goes so fast, it's hard to believe

that just yesterday you were home here, with me.
So I'm holding to these moments as hard as I can

Because the next time I look,

I'll be seeing a grown man!
I love you sweet boy! I wish you a year filled with fun, learning, friendships and fulfillment. You make me so proud! A special piece of my heart will always belong to you because YOU made me a mother.


I love you "the whole wide world"

Mommy

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, I am right there with you. I love that we have boys the same age! I learn so much from you. I'll have to read this to my Benjamin Bunny next Tuesday!
Thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

love that beck! except it did make me cry thinking about court doing that one day. i'm already looking into home schooling options! hehehe!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know the feeling!!! I cried the day when you started kindergarten, Beck. I can still remember the picture of you in your purple and white dress I made, with you with little Strawberry Shortcake lunch box.
Little Man looks like he is ready to go!!! It will be a great experience for him.
Love,
Mom, Nani

Amanda said...

Thanks for making me cry Becky! That was so sweet! How did he like his first day? By the way, I was reading the comment from you mom and I wore a purple and white dress that my mom made to my first day of kindergarten. Weird, huh?

Big-Daddy Charlie said...

NO WAY is Cader already in school! Boy are we getting old. I almost cried when I dropped Ashlyn off at Nimitz HIGH SCHOOL this morning and just watched her slither through the mass of teenagers and disappear into the building to begin her final 4 years. I hope she continues on to collage as Kaylene has, but it's something her mom and I promised before we even had children, that we would not force them to go to college if they didn't want to. Yes we stressed the importance of a good education and I trust that sunk in somewhere in her head. I wish Cade much luck and success at his school. The thumbs up is really cute!!!
Love 'ya all and
(shhhhhh.....see 'ya soon!!)

Charlie

ginny said...

He looks so grown up! I'm sure he had a great first day and will love this preschool!