Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Menu Monday...on Tuesday!

So I'm a day late and a dollar short...In this season of life, I am just happy to actually be making time to post! Fall has swung in with a vengeance this year. I started feeling sick this past Friday with body aches, low grade temperature, a severe headache and exhaustion. After resting over the weekend and taking Tamiflu, I am feeling much better! But I must admit, I wanted something simple, quick, and low mess to whip up for dinner on Monday. Thanks to my sweet friend Jennifer, who gave me this recipe, my wish was granted. This recipe is definitely worth
posting! Once you taste it, you won't give me a hard time for running a day behind...trust me.

Italian Tortellini Soup
Serves 6:
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
15 ounce jar marinara sauce
1 C. sliced mushrooms
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
9 ounce pkg. cheese filled tortellini (refrigerated)
1 C. Mozzarella cheese, grated


Brown beef and sausage (i use the mild Italian sausage for the kiddos) in a skillet over medium heat. Spray inside of crock pot. Mix meat mixture, marinara sauce, mushrooms, and tomatoes in crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours (or on high for 4 to 6 hours). Stir in tortellini (i use the new whole wheat variety); sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook on low for about 15 minutes more or until tortellini is tender. You can add a little water to thin, if needed.
Serve with toasted Italian bread, sliced thin or Italian bread sticks!


Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Locklin

{The kids and I also baked a delicious poppy seed bread yesterday! I will post the recipe very soon}

2 comments:

Patti said...

I made this soup last week and I really liked it. Dad ate the leftovers tonight.
Mom

Amanda said...

This is the soup I can't wait to try out! The Poppy Seed Bread was so delicious it didn't last long when I came down. I need to make some for Cody and I. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe Jennifer.
Amanda